We are now recruiting volunteers for the new FoEH Coffee Shop and Macmillan Cancer Support Information Area at the Eastbourne DGH Radiotherapy Centre. The Radiotherapy Centre opened in 2017 and provides treatment for patients from across East Sussex.
Eastbourne District General Hospital provides a range of services for people living with cancer, including diagnostic investigations, chemotherapy, surgical procedures, and radiotherapy.
People receiving a cancer diagnosis will often have lots of questions about the illness and proposed treatments: It is vital there is somewhere safe, visible, accessible and trustworthy where they can talk to someone and find things out.
Family, friends and people who are worried about cancer may also need information and support. By volunteering in the newly developed EDGH Friends Coffee Shop and Macmillan Information area, you’ll be helping healthcare professional’s signpost cancer patients and their loved ones to the support and information they need as well as providing a coffee and snack shop for patients, visitors and staff.
Key Tasks for the Voluntary Role:
- Welcoming visitors to this area of the hospital and helping to put them at ease
- Maintaining a clean and tidy refreshments area
- Managing stock as it is sold
- Safely utilising equipment such as fridge, coffee machine, till
- Handling cash
- Being the first point of contact to find out what sort of information or help people affected by cancer need
- Helping visitors find appropriate information/leaflets of local support services available
- Where enquiries are more complex, referring back to the relevant healthcare professionals
- To collect basic data on support provided to people affected by cancer (i.e. number of leaflets given out and/or services/professionals signposted to)
- ID and lanyard to be worn at all times whilst on duty
- Mandatory training to be attended prior to starting
- Empathy and ability to relate and respond well to people
- Good communication and organisational skills
- Confidentiality to be observed at all times
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Initiative and ability to refer complex issues to the right person when needed
- Willing to undertake specific training for this role
- The ability to work effectively as part of a team/flexible approach
- Basic IT, mathematical and administrative skills
Do you think that this could be the voluntary role for you?
If you would like an application pack or have any questions, please contact the Voluntary Services Office on 01323 417400 ext 4880 or email: email@example.com